Well here we go again. Another reminder that artistic freedom has no value in this country. Read this Mumbai Mirror. Karan Johar apologizing to Raj Thackeray (yeah he’s the guy who says Maharashtra is for Marathis, all others please clear out, oh but he didn’t use the “please”) for using the Bombay instead of Mumbai in his latest movie Wake up Sid.
I wouldn’t have expected someone of the stature (yeah hes rich and famous) of Karan Johar to apologize for something like that. Last time I checked, it isn’t a crime to say Bombay (maybe in a warped MNS ruled Maharashtra, but thankfully we haven’t had to endure that yet). It doesn’t set the right example. What I would have done if I was Karan Johar was said “Fuck. Off.”
Maybe a little more politely (but only maybe).
Whats next? I get skewered for saying Bangy? or Madras? or Calcutta? (shudders)
Yes we read about this all the time. The zealots who burn down theatres. Raid art galleries. And generally take the moral high ground on matters that they dont have any authority over. And what we see even more often is the powers that be pandering to such sort of vandalism. That, in my opinion, is the sad part.
Mr. Karan Johar. Sad hai yaar. Kaafi sad.
You know when your heart does that weird thing where it jumps up into your neck and kind of sits there, refusing to go down again?
And suddenly your lungs seem to be in a tearing hurry to abandon your bodily cavities?
And the muscles in your face choose that exact moment to start rearanging themselves turning your smile into a half ass lopsided grin?
Well this happens every time I talk to you.
How do you pass the time when youre on a long train journey with no company?
1. Sleep: First choice for me, but unsuitable for those who are averse to cramped spaces, incessant jerks, and a constant “chug chug” sound. But for those who can brave this, a nightout the day before and an upper berth makes for a perfect combination.
2. Read: But again theres only so much of your reading that you can catch u on when the book and you are moving on two disjoint axes.
3. Music: An iPod can be a godsend, (I typed much of this on mine 😛 in hour 1 of my lonely trip back to KGP)
4. Ogle: Statutory warning: can cause risk to life and limb. Also severely restricted by the random selection of travelmates you have around you (I somehow always seem to end up with families, and no there are never any pretty girls around. :|)
For those who want to give this a shot and want a strictly algorithmic approach, read Vinayak’s blog. He doesnt have a post dedicated to this, but the way he approaches the vagaries of life (taking a crap, chappals and the like) should give you some inspiration. To add my two cents read this/
5. Text random people: The girl you’re eyeing in college. The chaddi dost you havent talked to in a while, Random cousin. Hot female you met on internship. The guy on the next seat. Whoever. Its fun.
6. Write: Its what I did :).
7. Sudoku! Carry the days newspaper along. Sure fire way to spend an hour.
any more ideas on how to spend time are welcome.